There is something about watercolor which never ceases to fascinate our minds, whether we are 4, or grown adults! The way a color mixes with water to leave behind a barely-there pastel mark is an art that is much appreciated and is apparently quite popular in weddings too, given the trends! It adds a dreamy whimsical vibe to any wedding, and is a detail that is so pretty, it adds a special character to the wedding. Watercolor is intricate, laborious, and endlessly romantic, making it a hot favorite for weddings, especially in the spring and summer weddings, for its airy breezy nature. But on occasion, a couple will use watercolor details in winter weddings, adding a fresh and unexpected approach to the winter colors. Watercolor wedding details have a way of finding a place for themselves within every wedding theme and style. They are highly versatile and are a trend that can be used sparingly or with intention, with the whole theme designed around it. There are various different ways in which this romantic and elegant trend can be incorporated into your wedding day, some fairly common, and some quite inspired and rare! Let us go through some of the ways watercolor wedding details can make an appearance on your wedding day!
Being a form of art, watercolor is the easiest to bring out alive in stationary. As stationary is already pretty instrumental in being huge in the overall wedding decor, adding watercolor elements to paper is one of the most natural places to work in some weddings. Keeping all the stationeries from the day with a similar theme can hold the decor together in a beautiful way. Some of the different wedding stationeries that you can use watercolor trend on are:
• Bridal shower invitations: A bridal shower invitation can be a perfect hint at how your wedding day is potentially going to look like, so putting some forethought and sending bridal shower invitations in a gorgeous watercolor theme can be perfect for your girl gang! Not only is it sweetly feminine, but also it never fails to impress the one on the receiving end!
• Wedding invitations: Wedding invitations in watercolor wedding stationery are so romantic and never fail to impress. While watercolors are inherently pastel-hued, you can go for bolder strokes of watercolor, if that is what your wedding color looks like. You will find that watercolor is a surprisingly accommodating trend. We especially love the slightly torn edges for a more distinct look.
• Vow notebooks: The wedding ceremony is made extra special when you have these pretty watercolor wedding vow notebooks to read your vows off of. You can make it your wedding keepsake by adding a bit of personalization to the simple paper notebooks by inscribing your names or wedding monogram into the wedding vow notebook. The effect will be just adorable.
• Table numbers: It is little things that bind the wedding decor together after all, and having the little elements like the table number or the place cards reflecting the same watercolor theme cement the theme perfectly in place. Having adorable table numbers is one of the easiest ways to incorporate watercolor wedding details into your style.
• Reception menu: Another wedding stationery that is highly conducive in reflecting the wedding theme is the reception menu, so displaying the same in some custom watercolor menu might be a brilliant idea. This ties in all the watercolor elements in the wedding with a pretty bow, while still letting your guests know exactly what's for dinner.
• Guest addresses: Sending in the invites in stunning watercolor paint is not only eye-catching but is also a bunch of fun. You can have the addresses written in beautiful calligraphy writing, or go for a more whimsical effect by adding old-school vintage stamps that are in line with the color scheme of the wedding day.
• Wedding map: A fun way to give your guests directions on how exactly they can reach your wedding venue and the things they can check on their way in or out, a wedding map is a fun addition to the wedding stationery. This can come in especially helpful when you are either hosting a destination wedding or have chosen a wedding venue that is a little out of the way and ticked away from civilization.
• Ceremony programs: The ceremony program is another way to reflect the watercolor trend off of your wedding stationery. This is a perfect way to let your guests know the course and timeline of your special day in an aesthetic way, and there is an immense design pool that you can choose from!
• Hashtag cards: Living in the social media world as we do, a wedding hashtag is a thing that is prevalent in most modern weddings nowadays. A beautiful way of displaying your wedding hashtag is aesthetic signage decorated in watercolor details. This will let your guests know exactly how to share their selfies and snapshots, and you get to do so by displaying cute watercolor wedding hashtag cards with your decor.
• Place and escort cards: Place and escort cards serve a very practical purpose during a wedding, but that doesn't mean it can't be pretty, right? Choose from the wide array of watercolor escort cards and your tables will naturally echo in those watercolor touches. You can go minimal or all in on these and the impact will be beautiful nonetheless.
• Thank you notes: Even when the wedding is done and over with, sending thank you notes leaves a happy image in the mind of your beloved guests! Let your thank-you notes reflect the same wedding stationery vibe that you used initially so that it is cohesive and in line with your wedding vibe.
Live sketches by a watercolor artist can be the perfect entertainment for your ceremony and reception events. You can hire an artist who can make quick 5 to 10-minute sketches for your guests so that they can take them home as unique wedding favors. This is not only interactive but lets your guests take home a piece of your special day and remember it forever! This is a unique idea for your guests to partake in, and is eternally romantic too!
Another great way to show off watercolor sketches is by having the artist paint a portrait of you and your spouse in the wedding setting or a remake of your favorite picture together, and have your guests sign it as a commemorative piece. This can be something that you and your spouse can keep forever instead of a traditional guest book. You can always look back on your special day and catch the true essence of the day in a truly aesthetic image.
How can you have a whole theme revolving around watercolors and not have watercolor drinks in your bar? Let your bartender work their magic by letting the colors swirl and mix in the glasses and create visual masterpieces. Cocktail ingredients like grenadine can give your signature wedding cocktails a beautiful watercolor effect. Let every drink of your special occasion come alive in clouds of brilliant hues!
Let your wedding guests carry the watercolor trend home in some way by incorporating it into the wedding favors. How about adding a cute watercolor printed label or tags which is a small vibe of your wedding, without being too much. Add fun to your wedding favors by including a mini paint set as your wedding favor! This will allow your guests to get in touch with their artistic child self!
While watercolor stationeries might feature some amazing flowers, how about bringing them out to play? Capture a "watercolor in real life" vibe by selecting flowers in pale barely-there pastel hues. Let your wedding flowers bring the watercolor painting come alive in 3D form by merging perfectly with color choices and tonal harmonies and you will love the effect enormously! Choose pastel-hued colors like roses, peonies, and hydrangeas to get the full effect.
Outfits in a wedding represent the wedding trend in a huge way and can bring a trend out in the most gorgeous way. Whether it is through your beautiful wedding gown which has traces of watercolor accents, or it is your beautiful bridesmaids’ stunning dresses that lean on to this trend, there are several ways you can fuse them into wedding fabrics. These soft, colorful patterns can be picked for anything from bridesmaid dresses, accessories to groomsmen accents like ties and pocket squares. Sticking to wedding whites as you say "I do"? Let your getting-ready robes give a nod to the trend even before the ceremony starts.
Bring the watercolor trend to your dessert table in a fun and awe-inspiring way, and we are not talking cakes. Ice lollies with pastel hues are perfect for this trend, as well as mixing a colorful popsicle with your clear alcohol of choice (or soda!), making for a watercolor-like treat. This is not only visually satisfying, but it is perfectly in line with the theme as well!
Stuck for inspiration? Try introducing tie-dye, watercolor-inspired napkins popped on the couple's reception tablescape, which instantly adds fun and character to your wedding day! You can use one color, a couple of your wedding colors, and also stamp your initials in for a more personalized feel. It is the little details after all which make a world of difference!
Table linens are instrumental in introducing a wedding trend, so what better way to play with this trend than to actually bring it to your table? Bring in watercolor details to your reception tablescapes with delicately dip-dyed tablecloths and linens. Not only is it refreshingly fresh and unique, but it also is very customizable as per your wedding colors and can help you play with the watercolor vibe more experimentally.
If the art is as pretty as a watercolor, anything can be the canvas, even the wedding cake! Watercolor wedding cakes are special and the delicate hand-painted details can lend a special touch to your wedding dessert! A pastel fondant cake with delicate watercolor designs will add a whimsical enchantment to any wedding. Hand-painted cakes bring a contemporary twist to a timeless romance and are quite fitting for a day as romantic as your wedding day. Hand-painted cakes tend to have a soft pastel coloring and hazy strokes, making them as pretty as a piece of art.
Sometimes you just have to commit to something huge, which, in this case, is a watercolor backdrop which is perfect to drive the theme home but also makes the perfect backdrop for those dreamy wedding portraits. This can also be a photo booth area, a place where your wedding guests can gather for some of those candid clicks!
Bring in the watercolor trend to the wedding reception table by not only using watercolor stationery but also through your glassware and stemware. Tinted glassware, vases, and candle stands can reflect the trend in the most perfect way. While it works for pastel weddings perfectly too, due to the glassy iridescent quality, it also works well for a watercolor-themed wedding!
Going with the hand-painted cake trend, having tiny desserts like cake pops and macarons being painted in pretty designs can look stunning too, and give a romantic vibe to the atmosphere! You can also add intricate designs to the frosted cookies and other similar desserts, and your dessert table will be stunning!
Watercolor seems to have fascinated us in such a way that we have invited it over to the most important day of our lives too, and surprisingly, it works phenomenally! A trend so full of character that it instantly lends a romantic elegant touch to any occasion, while still being understated enough to be almost a modern neutral, watercolor wedding trends can be quite stunning. If you were always fascinated by the trend but curious about all the different ways it can be implemented, here are some of the different ways the trend can be woven into your special day!
We will be in touch soon.